Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is a popular and free PDF software to view, print, sign, and comment on PDF documents. Despite its practicality, many Mac users encounter problems and want to turn to other PDF editors. This means they are looking for ways to remove Adobe Reader from their Mac completely. And this includes deleting the latest of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
- Adobe Acrobat Mac Download Free Trial
- Adobe Acrobat Mac Trial Free Downloads
- Adobe Acrobat Mac Trial Free Download Windows 7
So, if you are here because you want to uninstall Adobe Acrobat Reader DC or are looking for the answer for how to remove Adobe Acrobat Reader DC read further.
In this post, we will discuss both automatic and manual ways to remove Adobe Reader DC. To remove it automatically, we will use the Uninstaller module of a very popular tool known as CleanMyMac X. To understand how to do that; you’ll need to read the post till the end.
Additionally, if you want to know more about the tool, read our comprehensive review on CleanMyMac X.
Common Error Messages Relates to Removal of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC:
The latest version of Adobe Acrobat Pro DC is 2020.012 on Mac Informer. It is a perfect match for Cloud Services in the Productivity category. The app is developed by Adobe Systems Inc. And its user rating is 3.7 out of 5. Download Adobe Acrobat Pro - Create and edit PDF files, sign and protect your documents, add them comments, organize pages and export them to various formats. Download a free 30-day trial of a fully functional version of Adobe Acrobat Pro DC now. Explore how Acrobat Pro DC can simplify the work you do every day. Adobe Acrobat Pro for Mac is a powerful multi-platform PDF creation solution that includes both simple and advanced features for all types of users who work with PDF documents. For some, the Adobe Acrobat Pro application is a simple PDF viewer for opening the day-to-day PDF documents they encounter. Download Adobe Acrobat Pro. You can create, sign, and share PDFs faster and easier than ever — free for 7 days.
> Adobe Acrobat Reader DC leftovers scatter around and are hard to locate
> Adobe Acrobat Reader DC cannot be moved to the trash as it is open
> Adobe Acrobat Reader DC still appear when trying to open a PDF file
Before we start explaining the ways to delete Adobe Acrobat DC, remember to quit Adobe Acrobat Reader. If the program is in use or any PDF file will be opened, you cannot delete it.
How to Force Quit Adobe Acrobat Reader?
To force quit an active or frozen app from macOS, follow the steps below:
- Look for the app icon (Adobe Acrobat Reader DC) in the Dock.
- Right-click it > Quit
- If this doesn’t help, open Activity Monitor.
- Search for the app, choose process related to the target app (Adobe Acrobat Reader DC), click the X > Quit button
- Also, you can press the Command+Option+Esc keys. This will bring up Quit Applications window > select the app from the list > Force Quit.
If the above steps did not help, then it seems your Mac is infected. In such a case, we suggest rebooting Mac in Safe Mode and then try uninstalling the app.
Assuming Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is no longer running, let’s move on with the steps to uninstall it.
Steps to Manually Uninstall Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Head to Applications folder in the Finder
- Look for Adobe Reader > right-click Move to Bin > Empty the Trash.
Since we are removing the app manually, this won’t be enough. To delete the app completely, you will need to make sure none of the associated files, cache remains. For this, follow the steps ahead.
- Open Finder > Go > Go to Folder.
- Type following command one by one and select all related files in each folder > drag and drop to > Empty the Bin.
~/Library/Saved Application State/com.adobe.Reader.savedState
Note: (~) Tilda before the Library explains the folder is hidden.
To learn how to show hidden files and folders on Mac, our previous post, How to show Hidden files on Mac; however, if you are short on time, press Shift+G+Command and head to the mentioned folders.
Once all files associated with Acrobat Reader DC are moved to Bin, empty the Bin. And tada! You’re all set; you have successfully removed Adobe Reader DC and all its components from Mac.
Does all this sound too technical? Yes, nothing to worry about. We have got a simple solution for you.
Automatic Way to Uninstall Acrobat Reader DC
Adobe Acrobat and be easily uninstalled using CleanMyMac X. This app is an excellent Mac optimizer, and it helps uninstall apps, clean up junk files, and do a lot more.
To use it, follow the steps below:
- Download and install the free trial version of CleanMyMac X
- Open the app
- Head to the Uninstaller tab.
- Select all Adobe Reader apps and hit Uninstall
That’s it; you have successfully deleted Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and all its components from Mac. So, this is what we have for you on how to remove Adobe Reader DC. Please let us know if these steps were helpful. Or if you have discovered another “secret” way to share with us. Either way, leave us a comment.
Frequently Asked Question
Q1. Do I need an Adobe Reader on my Mac?
You probably don’t need Adobe Acrobat Reader on Mac. Since your operating system or browser has built-in PDF, you will not face any problem while accessing PDF files if you uninstall Adobe Reader.
Q2. Why can’t I quit Adobe Acrobat Reader?
If Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is stuck or frozen, you cannot quit it. You will have to go to finder, look for the app, and Force Quit it in such a case. Alternatively, you can do the same from Activity Monitor.
Store and access Dropbox files when you’re working in Acrobat or on your desktop. Sync your documents and pick up your work right where you left off, across devices. Turn any document — paper or digital — into a PDF form. Then fill, sign, and send it.
Interact with PDFs
- View and interact with all types of PDF content
- New: Work on touch-enabled devices
- New: Store and share files online with instant access to recently viewed files
- New: Access and store files in your Box, Dropbox, and Microsoft OneDrive accounts
- New: Send, track, and confirm document delivery electronically
- Convert documents and images to PDF files
- Create PDFs from any application that prints
- Create, protect, and send PDFs in popular Microsoft Office apps for Windows
- Combine multiple documents in one PDF
- Convert web pages to interactive PDFs, complete with links
- Prevent others from copying or editing information in PDFs
- Create a password-protected PDF
- Turn scanned documents into searchable PDFs with selectable text
- New: Recognize text in scans, and then preview and correct suspect errors with a side-by-side view
- New: Automatically fix photos of documents to remove backgrounds and adjust perspective
- New: Turn Adobe Photoshop (PSD), Illustrator (AI), or InDesign (INDD) files into PDFs from your desktop or mobile device
- Create and export PDFs on your mobile device
- New: Take advantage of Microsoft Office 2016 for Mac support
- Prepare PDFs consistently with guided actions
- Convert and validate PDFs for compliance with ISO standards like PDF/A and PDF/X
- Create technical PDFs in Microsoft Project, Visio, or Autodesk AutoCAD
- Create and validate PDFs to meet accessibility standards for people with disabilities
- New: Edit PDF text and images with full-page paragraph reflow
- New: Turn PDFs into editable Microsoft Word, Excel, or PowerPoint files with improved formatting accuracy
- Convert PDFs to JPEG, TIFF, or PNG image formats
- Insert, delete, and organize pages in a PDF
- Add bookmarks, headers, numbering, and watermarks
- New: Turn scanned paper documents into instantly editable PDFs
- Automatically optimize PDFs to reduce file size
- Add audio, video, and interactive objects to PDFs
- Redact to permanently remove sensitive information in PDFs
- Preflight and prepare files for high-end print production
- Add Bates numbering to legal documents
- New: Edit text and organize pages in PDFs on your iPad
- New: Reorder, delete, or rotate PDF pages on your iOS or Android tablet
Sign and collect
- New: Fill, sign, and send forms faster using data from your autofill collection on your computer or mobile device
- Measure the distance, area, and perimeter of objects in PDFs
- New: Capture your signature with your mobile device to use across Adobe Document Cloud
- Add comments to PDFs with a highlighter, sticky notes, and more
- New: Give and get fast, clear feedback with all-New: commenting tools
- Turn paper or Word docs into fillable PDF forms
- New: Host SharePoint-based shared reviews on Office 365 sites
- Work with certificate signatures
- Collect comments from others in one PDF file
- Choose comments and export to Word
- Mark PDFs with stamps, such as “approved” or “draft”
- New: Collect e-signatures from others and track responses in real time
- Compare two versions of a document to see what’s changed
- 4232082: Acrobat mappes roles to tags in the tree view by default, but not if tag name has some specific characters.
- 4195769: Read Out Loud not reading slow enough. User cannot set lesser than 150 words per minute in Reading Preferences.
- 4212726: Unable to save added or removed columns in a DC created Email portfolio.
- 4223361: Unable to open PDF after applying password protection for some files.
Adobe Acrobat Mac Download Free Trial
- 4225014: Delay in loading pdf files in Internet explorer.
- 4225249: Compare PDFs causes a crash when comparing related PDFs, one saved from Preflight.
- 4228132: The Summary Page displays in between the compare result while navigating through the Next /Previous Change arrow, if two scanned files are compared.
- 4231258: Diff rect is not shown at proper place when files used are cropped before compare.
- 4232403: Acrobat Crashes on using ‘Prepare Form’ tool during processing of some shortcut with more than one form-PDF document open.
- 4227286: Acrobat Reader crashes on placing CMYK jpeg to an image field.
- 4224823: Mouse action up/down not working properly on Form field properties.
- 4232061: “Verify conformance” option is returning incorrect status for PDF/X-5n compliant files.
- 4236105: Not able to run OCR properly on images having “inverted text” or colored background.
AutoCad PDF Maker
- 4232296: Unable to open dwg file in Acrobat through drag and drop or File->open and Acrobat crashes.
- 4232075: Using Mail merge from Word 2016, it saves the file to .doc format first.
- 4081754: Acrobat does not capture the DATE field from the original message during conversion when MSG file attached to email opened.
- 4237190: Acrobat crash while opening the PDF created in Live cycle designer.
- 4229000: Incorrect file location is shown for file opened from mapped network drive.
- 4229460: Cursor Co-ordinates windows scrolls down along with the PDF content scroll in continuous Scroll mode.
Adobe Acrobat Mac Trial Free Downloads
- 4232040: Added support for opening password protected files via OLE.
- 4205759: Limit on the number of page ranges that can be extracted at one time.
Adobe Acrobat Mac Trial Free Download Windows 7
Software similar to Adobe Acrobat Pro 3
- 16 votesdoPDF is a free PDF converter for both personal and commercial use.
- 42 votesCreate PDF documents on the fly — for Free.
- 12 votesCreate vector based, high resolution PDF Documents.
- Free to Try